A rooftop garden is great when you don’t have the necessary space to grow a full one. It’s also easier to take care of it and it allows you to prioritize the space you have in and around the house and at the same time enjoy a wonderful garden, an oasis of peace in a crowded city, for instance. Read on for more tips on how to start a rooftop garden!
- Make a plan. Don’t just go around and plant things there. Choose how do you want to build it, with raised beds or containers, and calculate how many do you want to buy, where do you want to install them and what kind of plants you want to grow. In this way it will be much easier to organize yourself and to know exactly what to buy and in what order.
- Ask the building engineer. It’s safer to consult with a building engineer before putting any of your plans into practice. It’s dangerous to have a rooftop garden if the structure of the building cannot support the entire weight of the garden. You can even make an estimation regarding the final weight if you include the soil, the plants, the containers or beds and the other things you want to keep around: benches, tables and so on.
- Make a way of access. Another important point if you’re thinking about how to start a rooftop garden is to make sure that you have a way of access. Just think that you’ll have to transport there big and heavy things, not only yourself, and plan ahead how are you going to lift them.
- Ensure plenty of water. Being so exposed to sunlight all day long, plants in raised beds or containers in a rooftop garden can dry out more quickly, so you will have to make sure that they have a water source that is quickly accessible. Maybe you can’t be home all day long to water them whenever they need, so make sure that you have one close or that you imagine a system for it.
- Create a storage space. It’s very unpleasant to carry up and down gardening tools all day long, so when you think of how to start a rooftop garden, plan some space for storing up tools, fertilizers and any other things you need. Make sure that they are protected from winds, rain or dust for a better quality.
- Use quality materials. Just like with any other project, you will need to buy quality materials in soils, tools and basically anything, that is, if you want to have an exceptional result. More than that, if you invest properly in the beginning, you won’t need to replace things around very often, so it’s more profitable to buy quality things right from the start. However, be careful with the tools and maintain them properly, keep them away from rain or winds and even use special storage bags or cases.